Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What does an Athletic Trainer do?
Athletic Trainers (ATs) are health care professionals who collaborate with physicians. The services provided by ATs comprise prevention, emergency care, clinical diagnosis, therapeutic intervention and rehabilitation of injuries and medical conditions. Students who want to become Athletic Trainers must earn a degree from an accredited athletic training curriculum and pass the Board of Certification, Inc Exam. (NATA Website). Individual states may also require that the Athletic Trainer obtain a license to practice in that state.

The Athletic Trainer has the professional responsibility to stay cognizant of new developments in evidence-based medicine by interacting with colleagues, attending conferences, critically reading and developing research in order to meet the minimum requirements for continuing education as defined by the Board of Certification. Additionally, a majority of athletic trainers earn advanced degrees to improve their skills in this immensely rewarding and constantly evolving profession.

Traditionally, the Athletic Trainer has been an integral part of a comprehensive health care program for those participating in physical activity. The nature of physical activity and competition makes injury inevitable. The presence of the Athletic Trainer ensures that physical activity is consistently safer, injuries receive appropriate attention in a timely manner and the efficiency of medical management of health care for the physically active is greatly enhanced

Where does an Athletic Trainer practice?
High School Athletic Trainer
Collegiate Athletic Trainer
Professional Sport Athletic Trainer
Athletic Trainer for the Military
Performing Arts Athletic Trainer
Physician Extender
Athletic Trainer in a Hospital or Clinic Setting

How is the Athletic Training Program set up?
Upon entering Rowan University students are automatically enrolled in the Pre-professional Phase of the Athletic Training Program (ATP). A secondary application process is in place for acceptance into Professional Phase of the ATP, where the student will begin their clinical rotations. Please see application criteria.

May I combine athletic training major with another specialization within Health and Exercise Science?
This is a viable possibility, however, one could expect that summer school and/or additional semesters will be required. The Athletic Training Academic Advisor and the Specialization Program Director will assist students in coordination of the two programs of study. One can expect to graduate with an excess number of credit hours as this combination is essentially the equivalent of a double major. The student must also understand that the Athletic Training Program is structured to be sequential, thus all athletic training program requirements take precedence over the second major.

May I combine the athletic training major with athletic participation?
The athletic training program and intercollegiate athletic participation are co-curricular. Participation in intercollegiate athletics has the potential to make a person a better athletic trainer and we highly encourage participation in both athletics and the athletic training major. Students, however, must realize that being a student-athlete is challenging and requires good study skills and constant communication between the athletic training program director, student, and head coach. Students can expect to spend from one additional academic year at Rowan University due to their participation in athletics. Please see the link to the athletic participation policy.

Can a transfer student complete the athletic training program?
Yes. Please click Here for more information.

What do I do if I desire to pursue Athletic Training at Rowan University?
It is strongly suggested that prospective students gain some practical observation experience under a practicing Athletic Trainer prior to selecting athletic training education. Many students are not prepared for the level of commitment involved in the professional preparation of the entry level athletic trainer. Additionally, some confusion exists regarding the difference between the Athletic Training and personal fitness training. Prospective students should apply directly to the admissions office and indicate their choice of the major HES: Athletic Training. After you receive notification of your acceptance to the University, it is strongly suggested that you make an appointment with the Program Director, (Rob Sterner, PhD, ATC at (856) 256-4500, ext.3766 or The University will notify you of pre-registration dates and new student orientation. If at any time before, during or after the application process, the Program Director will be happy to answer your questions.

>> Back to Top